Attendance Line: 429-3909 x131
MAKE-UP WORK, HOMEWORK REQUESTS & HOME AND HOSPITAL
Did You Know You Can Check Your Student's Attendance On-line Every Day?
you know you are going to be absent in advance, students should speak
with each teacher individually about make-up work before missing school
as early as possible.
- If you are out ill for three or more days,
you are encouraged to request homework from teachers by e-mailing the
teacher directly. Parents / students who do not have internet access
may contact the Attendance Office at 429-3909 x131 to request that homework
be collected from teachers for a parent/guardian to pick-up the
- Students do not have the right to make up work, tests or quizzes missed due to unexcused absences/tardies.
returning to school after being absent, a student is required to meet
with each teacher outside of class within 2 school days of his/her
return. Each teacher will provide the student with the work missed and
will set a reasonable schedule for the work to be completed. Generally
students have the number of days they have missed to make-up the
assignments, tests, etc. Students may be required to turn in long-term
projects even if absent on the assigned date. Students should also be
prepared to take tests/quizzes they were informed about prior to their
absence on the DAY OF THEIR RETURN.
student who has a medical condition which does not permit the student
to attend school for an extended period of time may apply for Home and
Hospital through the District Office - Department of Special
Education. Students and parents should contact their student's
counselor to find out more information.
Parents are welcome to call the Attendance Office at 429-3909 x131
on their student’s attendance. You may also view it online through the Infinite Campus Parent Portal
SOQUEL HIGH ATTENDANCE POLICY
Good attendance is essential for academic success. California state
law (CA Code 48200) also mandates compulsory education. This means
that all parents/guardians are required to ensure their students attend
on a regular basis, and report all excused absences to the school in a
timely manner. Please keep in mind the following:
LEAVING CAMPUS, MEDICAL APPOINTMENTS & GOING HOME SICK
parent/guardian must notify the Soquel High School Attendance Office
by 10:30 am the day following the absence. It is preferred that an
absence is excused the day of the absence.
- A maximum of 3 school days is allowed to clear an absence. After 3 days, administrative approval is required.
- The Attendance Office phone number is 429-3909 x131.
A parent/guardian may leave a message on our voice mail 24 hours a
day, or speak to an Attendance Tech between the hours of 7:30 am -3: 30
- Students with excused absences may make up missed assignments.
absences may be excused for the following reasons: illness, medical
appointments, court appearances, funerals, and religious observances.
Absences for vacations will not be considered excused and are
therefore, subject to truancy laws.
- Parents are allowed to excuse their students for personal reasons up to three times per year.
a student needs to leave school for a medical appointment or other
reason, he/she must go to the Attendance Office for a pass before
leaving. Parent/ guardian approval is required.
you need to leave in the middle of a class period, it is important you
bring a pass with you from the Attendance Office to release you. You
will still need to check-out through the Attendance Office before
- If a student leaves school without a pass, the absence is unexcused and considered a truant and CANNOT BE EXCUSED later even by a parent.
- Students are not to leave campus during the morning break (SGI).
- Students may leave campus at lunch, but must be back in time for their next class.
- If a student does not return for A-4/B-4 period for any reason, he/she must have permission prior to leaving campus or the absence is unexcused.
18-YEAR-OLD STUDENT ATTENDANCE CONTRACTS
computerized dialer will call home nightly each time a student is
marked absent from any class if the parent has not already excused the
- Letters of notification will be mailed home
to students with an excessive number of unexcused and/or excused
absences from school.
- Students who are truant will be assigned detention (2 hours per class missed) and/or Saturday School.
truancy will result in a referral to the Student Attendance Review
Board (SARB), which may result in a transfer to an alternative school.
Students who are 18 years old may excuse themselves a maximum of 5 times per
semester. Contracts are available in the Attendance Office and must be
signed by the student and Mr. Miller, Assistant Principal. Absences will
Students not in their assigned seats when the final bell
rings are tardy. Students do not have the right to make-up missed
quizzes or work due to unexcused tardies.
Students who have an EXCUSED tardy should report to the Attendance
Office BEFORE going to class. If the tardy is excused, the student
will be given a pass to bring to the teacher.
The only tardies that will be excused are those due to medical
appointments or illness. Students who arrive late due to
transportation problems or because the parent was late in dropping the
student off will not be excused.
Below are the consequences for unexcused tardies:
Total of 10 tardies (in any combination of classes - NOT per class)
Total of 20 tardies (in any combination of classes)
- Example: two tardies in five different classes
- Referral, call home and entered in Infinite Campus.
21st tardy or more:
- Conference with Craig Miller (AP of Discipline)
- Saturday School (8am – 12pm)
- Parent conference and student contract with Assistant Principal of Discipline
- Community service
- Social probation (ie. 1-2 week dismissal from sports, clubs, dances, prom, etc.)
- Referral to the Student Attendance Review Board for continued tardiness.