In accordance with the State of California Education Code, Santa Cruz City Schools will only accept illness, medical appointments, court appearances, funerals or religious observances as excused absences. (Absences for vacations or other parent approved reasons will not be considered excused and are, therefore, subject to truancy laws). This is a change from previous years’ handling of parental consent absences.The intention is to follow the education code and to encourage parents to send their children to school on school days and to plan trips during non-school days.
The Attendance Policy
As we begin each semester, please review the Attendance Policy and take note of the following attendance information:
- Though we begin each year with a clean attendance slate, unexcused absences are cumulative for the entire school year.
- It is the parent/student responsibility to make sure the office has the correct address and phone contact. Call 429-3909 ext. 136 for corrections.
- For ANY reason, it is imperative that each student that leaves campus, MUST sign out with the Attendance Office first BEFORE leaving. Should there be any kind of emergency or disaster, the school needs to account for every student.
- Every three unexcused absences results in a Truancy Letter and a four-hour Saturday School to be served on the first Saturday School (see below) following notification by mail. Students need to check Infinite Campus to double check their obligation in this area. We do call home for Saturday School notification bi-weekly and verbally inform students during the week, but this is only done as a courtesy.
- Parents have three days to clear an absence with an acceptable excuse. After that, it remains unexcused.
- Use Inifine Campus to check attendance. This will allow an opportunity to correct an error in a timely fashion.
- Saturday School is held designated Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. unless announced otherwise. Latecomers will not be admitted after 8:30 a.m. Students will be dismissed at 12:30 p.m.
- Parking lot gate opens approx. 8:15 a.m.; students meet in front of Main Office.
- No electronic devices are allowed. They will be confiscated.
- Talking or playing games is not allowed. Violators will be sent home.
- Leaving campus other than 1st Quad for Break is not allowed. Violators will be sent home.
- Bring homework or school-appropriate reading material.
- If you cannot attend Saturday School, notify Mr. Miller or Cheryl in the Front Office to be reassigned.
- Last-minute discrepancies between student accounts and Attendance Office records will result in Saturday School being reassigned to the next-scheduled session to reconcile the situation.
- No hats or hoods in Saturday School. Standard School Dress Code applies at Saturday School.
- No sleeping or heads resting on desks in Saturday School.
- No food or drink in Saturday School.
- Breaks are held from 10:30 a.m. until 10:45 a.m. Back in classroom at 10:50 a.m. sharp.
- To be tardy returning from a break is unacceptable. Those who are tardy will be sent home with no penalty; however, credit will not be given for the time served.