Requirements for Community Service Credits for Saturday School credits:
- Work must be for a category 501(c)(3) non-profit ONLY!
Category 501(c)(3) are nonprofit organizations that are exempt from federal income tax if its activities have the following purposes: charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering amateur sports competition, or preventing cruelty to children or animals.
- Must be current work (within two months of claiming)
- Supervised by an adult age 25 or over and not related to the student in any way.
- For grades 9th - 11th, no more than 30% of the total Saturday Schools for the year may be Community Service. For the 15-16 school year, five Saturday Schools can be claimed with Community Service – a total of 20 hours max.
- Documentation must be in blocks or multiples of four hours.
- Supervising person’s Name and Contact phone Number MUST be listed.
- Summary of work performed must be included.
- Community Service (CS) hour credit only given for CS work done outside of scheduled school hours, i.e.: SCOE Science Camp cannot be used for Saturday School credit.
- Must be on letterhead from the Organization; emailed material will not be accepted. Emails are too easily changed – this is commonly called “Phishing”.
- Please bring your letter to the Assistant Principal of Student Services for approval and to receive credit.
- Deadline - All paperwork must be submitted no later than May 26, 2017.
For approved non-profit organizations, go to this website:
S.C. Chamber Commerce Homepage
Select the “Business Directory” pull-down menu:
Select the “Non-profit and Community” link
Using only the 3 following categories only, select an organization to do community service from:
Ecology and Preservation
Service and Philanthropy